Taming the Lambs, and Reupholstering

I have been speed-taming my new lambs, sitting with them quietly several times a day, knowing that by Tuesday they must be released into the pasture. I’m not sure a week was enough. They don’t seem as afraid of me and they know I am the food lady, but they won’t creep quite close enough to eat out of my hands or let me pet them. I have been gathering grass and clover and putting it out for them near my feet and they are comfortable enough with that, so there is some progress.

They are sweet little girls, though. They have an invisible tether between them and when one takes a step away the other immediately rushes to stay by her side. The funniest thing is to hear them bleating in unison when I come into the barn. Their little faces crowd together and their tongues jut out between their teeth to yell a high nasal “Aaaaaaaa”.

Tomorrow afternoon I will let them out into the pasture to explore. I hope the big girls will take them under their wings and let them sleep in the nighttime heap in the goat shed. The new goat was allowed in, so I assume the lambs will be adopted as well.

Then in the morning I will trap the big animals in the enclosure so that when the shearer arrives he will be able to grab each one and give them their haircuts. It is happening so late this year, the poor sheep must be carrying 20 pounds of wool around. They are very wide. Eddy the goat is also quite shaggy so I’ll be getting lots of mohair. I won’t get started cleaning it all up till later. We have had a very full schedule lately.

Here is my other project, all finished! My grandpa’s rocking chair is renewed and ready to serve future generations. I am quite pleased with the result, although there are some imperfections. It was my first time, after all. I found that the sewing skills I accrued in my teenage years came in handy and I was able to envision how things would go together.

I figured out to do piping and discovered that it is there primarily to hide the staples where pieces fit together. The staple gun I used was very powerful and once a staple went in, the only way to remove it was by ripping off the fabric. That meant I had to get it right the first time or find a way to cover up the rips.

I know I saved hundreds of dollars by doing this myself, and it made me feel really good to bring this old chair back to life. One more survival skill under my belt!

About bluestempond

Hobby farmer living at Bluestem Pond in Michigan.
This entry was posted in Farm, Farm Animals and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s